[b-hebrew] FYI: Aramaic study

Jack Kilmon jkilmon at historian.net
Mon Dec 27 21:24:57 EST 2010

From: "fred burlingame" <tensorpath at gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 25, 2010 11:03 AM
To: "Randall Buth" <randallbuth at gmail.com>
Cc: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] FYI: Aramaic study

> Hello Randall:
>
> Thanks for your nice comments.
>
> Let's assume for a moment that biblical hebrew language died and received
> pleasant burial during the second temple period.

JK:  You would be assuming wrong.  Hebrew remained the language of the
Tanakh and continued to be used in certain pockets like the DSS community,
the priesthood and the literate, even continuing to develop dialects.
Aramaic was the commonly spoken language by the illiterate class (more than
95% of the people).

> Then, a small question arises ...; where did this come from ?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleppo_Codex
>
> a. Did it magically drop out of the sky one day in 1010 a.d.?

No, it was scribed by one Salomon Ben Wia's in 920 CE (not 1010) in the Ben
Ashur Scriptorium in Tiberias and pointed by Aaron Ben Ashur himself..

> b. If not, the implication arises that plenty people, invested many years
> and much time, developing a high level of proficiency in a complex
> language,
> in order to generate the document.
>
> c. But if the language dead and gone for centuries, where did the language
> records originate that allowed training of the people in "b."
>
> d. And why would "b" expend much of their lives cloistered in preparing a
> document which consists of a dead language? A language for which aramaic,
> greek, arabic, latin, etc., speakers simply have no daily use. It's one
> thing to hit the print button, and print out a copy of a book in a dead
> language. It's quite another for a small army of people to devote their
> entire lives to preparing a single document in a dead language.
> Alice in Wonderland has arrived.

Fred, I don't know how to respond to these questions if you think anyone
believes Hebrew was dead for centuries.  It was no more dead than Latin was
dead in the Vatican and monasteries where the Bible was only allowed in
Latin after Jerome's Vulgate.  Hebrew was maintained by the Masoretes, the
Rabbis who wrote the Mishnah and the discussions of the Mishnah were written
down in the language of those discussions, Aramaic. Combined they became the
TALMUD.  Hebrew was a living language of the Tannaim, the Amoraim, the
Savoraim, Geonim, the Acharonim and in Rabbinical Judaism.  Do you go to
Schul?  The readings from the Torah are in Hebrew. The Cantor sings in
Hebrew and Aramaic.  The congregation speaks English, or German or whatever
language they speak outside of Israel.

Jack