[b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Dec 12 17:51:45 EST 2010

1. Whatever it means, SHRIYQOT OLAM is negligible. Some people will
hiss or whistle "forever". So what. (BTW I think that the root SHRK
is a variant of ZRQ, with SHRIQAH meaning ZRIYQAH, 'hurling out air'.)

2. The BRIT OLAM of Gen. 9:16 is indeed (in the words of King James)
'everlasting covenant', where everlasting means 'unlimited in time',
or 'irrevocable, not cancelable, to last AD OLAM'.

3. What do you think of HA-OLAM of Eccl. 3:11?

Isaac Fried, Boston University