[b-hebrew] one-to-one rendering of olam

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Dec 12 16:36:26 EST 2010

1. SHRIYQOT OLAM could be 'world class hissing' or 'hissing for a
long time'. The prophet is certainly not saying LA-SUM ARCAM LE-
SHAMAH AD OLAM. Otherwise, the hissing against this land is, indeed,
without end.

2. The AD OLAM in Jer. 17:4 is only for the anger that is supposedly
forever, the promise given to ABRAHAM is not claimed to be revoked,
because the prophet knows that it is irrevocable.

Isaac Fried, Boston University