Nir cohen - Prof. Mat. nir at ccet.ufrn.br
Fri Dec 10 14:23:40 EST 2010

>What is, Nir, your trouble or confusion with verb "QM"?
(please, write QM and not KM because if you write K most of us will think of
the Hebrew letter khaf and not of the Hebrew letter qof).

Heartly,

Pere Porta
(Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain)

i interpret many of the three-letter roots as "fillings" of older two-letter
roots which represent a more primitive grammar. we may think of QYM as a
"filling" of the older "QM", in the same sense that the english "stands" is
in some contexts close to "is". QAM has only 3 binyanim (qam, heqim, huqam),
QYM also has qiyem, quyam, hitkayem, but "to be" has no zman pa'al.

(also we have NQM, which is another plausible "filling" (arabic: QUM) with (i
think) only 3 binyanim: naqam, niqam, hitnaqem.)

well, in the present tense we have all 3 forms in zman pa'al,
QAM, NOQEM, QAYAM. so, are QM and QYM one verb or two?

nir cohen