[b-hebrew] Christian Use of Targums (Was "cognate alphabet"); Targums Online

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 5 21:27:03 EST 2010

> From: Yigal Levin Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2010 6:24 PM
> To: 'Dewayne Dulaney'; b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Christian Use of Targums (Was "cognate alphabet");
> Targums Online
>
> Interesting. Targums asside, I've never really understood that passage. I agree that
> Qecep must be divine wrath, and that it's aimed at the Israelites. But why should
> God be angry at Israel because the king of Moab sacrificed his son? Conversely,
> could it be that the Moabite god (Chemosh) is angrey? That would be strange for
> the Bible as well.

[Steve Miller] Yigal, it is not that strange. Satan is real and his underling princes are also real (Dan 10:12-13). Their wrath against Israel should not have deterred Israel, but due to the apostasy of Israel at that time, they were weak and turned back by this.

> Yigal Levin

[Steve Miller] Dewayne, the Hebrew cannot possibly mean that.  Looking at all the usages of qetzef in the Tanach, I only see it meaning wrath, not any of the emotions you are trying.  Also there is the preposition "al", meaning that Israel is the object of the wrath, not the one who is angry.

> I wrote up my conclusions in
> a brief note for myself and used it when teaching the class; I have it as a Word
> document. If anyone would like a copy, email me off-list and I will gladly send it to
> you. Comments are welcome.
>
> Someone also asked if there were some online sites with the texts of Targums. The
> CAL site mentioned above is one; another good one is the Melchon Mamre site at
> http://www.mechon-mamre.org/. It has Targum Onqelos on the Torah
> (Pentateuch), including a parallel Hebrew-Aramaic Torah. (Note: there is an
> English introduction, and some of the Bible texts are in English; site navigation
> once you select a Hebrew or Aramaic text, however, is in Hebrew.) The site also has
> Rashi's commentary and the Jerusalem and Babylonian Talmuds.
>
> Hope these help.
>
> ברכך יהוה וישמרך׃ (Num. 6:24)
>
> דוין דולני Dewayne Dulaney
>
> --
> "From the world you will have trouble. But, be brave! I have defeated the world!"—
> John 16:33, DDV (Dewayne Dulaney Version)
>
> My Bible blogs: http://my.opera.com/Loquor/blog/ and
> http://hasopher.preachersfiles.com/

[Steve Miller]
Sincerely,
-Steve Miller
Detroit
www.voiceInWilderness.info
Blessed is the man who walks not in
the world's counsel of sin,
nor standeth in the sinners' way,
nor with the scornful stays,
because he delights in the law
of the Lord, and in awe
he meditates both day and night.
His mind is being made right. (Psalm 1:1-2)