[b-hebrew] 1 Kings 20:14 Who are the young men, princes of the districts?

jimstinehart at aol.com jimstinehart at aol.com
Fri Apr 30 20:58:11 EDT 2010

James Christian:

HRRM means "hill country".  That word is unique to Genesis 14: 6.  %(YR means "well-wooded".  The well-wooded hill country was in the Transjordan, not south of the Dead Sea.  El-paran as well is unique to Genesis 14: 6.  When areas south of Canaan are being referenced, what one sees is MDBR P)RN at Genesis 21: 21, or Havilah at Genesis 25: 18.  In a sentence that begins (at Genesis 14: 5) with Ashteroth in the northern Transjordan, the natural meaning of El-paran/Great Desert is:  Great Desert, that is, the Great Desert/Syro-Arabian Desert that borders the entirety of the Transjordan.  The words in both of these cases are different.  )YL P)RN and HRRM are both unique to chapter 14 of Genesis.  The scholarly view, believe it or not, is that El-paran means a navigable body of water, the Gulf of Aqaba, 100 miles south of the Dead Sea.  See the map on page 15 of Anson Rainey's "The Sacred Bridge".  But the natural meaning of El-paran is the Great Desert, which stretches in magnificent desolation from the Transjordan all the long way to Babylon.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois