[b-hebrew] how different spellings got into the Hebrew Bible

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 15:13:41 EDT 2010

Steve:

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Steve Miller <smille10 at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> This article explains how different spellings got into the Hebrew Bible.
>
> http://www.jidaily.com/Ua8faUEIA/f
>

> I would like to know if people agree or disagree with what this author
> says.
> In particular from the paragraph that begins "Before we list other examples
> of how the Dead Sea Scrolls influenced-or altered-Bible translations, we
> need to understand how ambiguities crept into the text of the Hebrew Bible"
> until the paragraph that ends "You shall not keep back the wages of a man."
>
> This is why those who teach Biblical inerrancy limit it to the original
autographs.

> I would also like to hear what people think about the author's comments
> about Zech 9:9 & Isa 40:3 regarding parallelism.

The author should have taken a couple of minutes to check his sources. The
LXX didn’t mistranslate Zech 9:9, rather it was whoever translated Matthew
21 to Greek.

He is right, that it is a question of punctuation in Isaiah 40:3. Also the
LXX does not translate B(RBH which, if the parallelism argument is followed,
would indicate that the voice calling out is in the wilderness (per LXX).