[b-hebrew] Hurrian and the Masoretic Text

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 14:33:35 EDT 2010

Jim:

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:06 PM, <JimStinehart at aol.com> wrote:

>  Karl:
>

> 1.  Thank you so much for your suggestion of XCCN TMR as possibly having the following meaning in Hebrew:  “gravel place (with) date palm tree”, or somewhat less literally:  “gravelly place with palms”.  But that seems like a strange name to me.

So? There are a lot of places with strange names.

> (a)  Are there any other west Semitic town names of that type?  Noun + -N  suffix plus a second noun.  To the best of my knowledge, when you have a west Semitic geographical place name with an –N suffix, that –N suffix invariably appears at the end of the  s-e-c-o-n-d  word, not the first word.

Even if it appears only once, you can’t á priori rule it out. The first noun
can have the form like MKMN, NX$TN, P(MN, C)NN, CPRN, QRBN, and many others
that end in a nun. This is not necessarily a suffix.

> (b)  Why would a small village south of the Dead Sea have “gravel” or “gravelly” in its name?

Have you ever been in a desert?

> (c)  What does that have to do with Amorites?  Genesis 14: 7 refers to Amorites being at XCCN TMR.

Other than your presuppositions, what problem is there with that?

> Jim Stinehart
>
> Evanston, Illinois

You are having your presuppositions dictate to the ancients what they may
report, rather than having them speak for themselves.

Karl W. Randolph.