[b-hebrew] Piel or "stative usage of verb"

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Thu Oct 8 23:59:53 EDT 2009

It refers to the absolutistic approach to the forms that one usually finds in the first-year
grammars and classes: the qal means this, the pi`el means that, the wayyiqtol means this,
the qatal means that.  It's only later on that the average Hebrew student learns the truth: we
frankly don't know what most of those forms mean, we're still in the process of sussing it all
out, but those first-year lies give us a basis for learning what the forms look like, nothing
more.  "Early-learning oversimplifications" is probably a more precise term for it, but "first-
year lies" is not only easier to say, but more fun.