[b-hebrew] Definite articles and proper names in B-Hebrew

Gerry Folbre gerry at wetmountainvalley.us
Sat Oct 3 11:14:17 EDT 2009

Gerry Folbre wrote:
> I messed up again and made this reply "off list".
>
> Ishinan asked for clarification:
> "Due to a font problem, I got the usual corrupted gibberish???? As a
> result I was unable to properly follow your line of thought. So please
> bear with me while I ask the following clarification regarding your
> response to James.
> In your opinion is:
> 'LHYM ('LH) derived from `l or simply a synonym for deity?"
>
> Ishinan:
>
> It is my understanding that the Hebrew nouns ’LHYM (’elohiym), ’LH
> (’eloha), and ’L (’el) are all derived from the Semitic term ’el
> denoting "strength & power". These three Hebrew nouns, ’LHYM, ’LH, and
> ’L, are used synonymously throughout the Hebrew Old Testament in
> reference to the Hebrew Deity.
>
> I will remove the gibberish from the last few lines of my earlier post.
>
> The proper noun Israel = Y$R’L means: Y = he $R = ruler ’L = El/God. The
> plural masculine noun ’LHYM = Elohiym appears to denote the multifaceted
> nature of the Israelites' monotheistic conception of their Deity.
> Therefore ’LHYM can be contextually perceived as "a distinctive and
> descriptive appellation (or title)" that denotes the strengths and
> powers of the Israelites' monotheistic conception of their one true God.
> None the less, ’LHYM or Elohiym is a common noun and so too is ’L = El,
> for the Name of the Israelites" multifaceted monotheistic Deity is YHWH
> {perhaps meaning: Y = he HWH = becomes and/or Y = he HWH = destruction;
> e.g. Isaiah 45:7 I form light and create darkness: I make peace and
> create calamity; I YHWH do all this).
> With any luck I have provided you with some clarification.
> Gerry Folbre

Steve:
I suspect that the following is my response to you that was lost:

Steve:  10,2,09
The rendering, "Let light come to be", is a fine English rendering of
the B-Hebrew clause, "YHY ’WR".  The jussive {Semitic, "mild command")
expressed in the imperfect verb, YHY, denotes the Hebrew Deity
"commanding light to come into being."  What is most interesting about
this particular clause is the manner in which the author chose to
express this particular idea; the author is describing the Hebrew Deity
commanding that which did not previously exist to come into existence.
The author never describes the Hebrew Deity commanding "darkness" to
come into existence; darkness exists in the same manner that the Hebrew
Deity exists, as well as where the Hebrew Deity exists.  Nor does the
author describe the Hebrew Deity as possessing "light", "being light",
or even "creating light".  The feminine noun, "’WR = light" is derived
from the verb "’WR = to be or become light, to shine".  Since the stars,
sun, and moon do not yet exist (see Gen. 1:14-19), the question becomes,
what "’WR = light" is the author referring to in Gen. 1:3?

What are your thoughts?

Gerry Folbre