[b-hebrew] Lexical question

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Fri Jul 31 17:48:59 EDT 2009

Every Hebrew word is derived from a meaningful root. Words derived
from the same root need not be "horizontally" related. Think about
the minimal pairs KPOR, 'frost, crust", and KPIR, 'lion'; or "KESEP",
'silver'', and KISUPIM, 'yearning'.
The basic meaning of $Q is 'elevated, elongated, large, piled up'.
$UK is an elevated (paved?) path, $OK is the long and fleshy [SAGI)]
leg part. The modern Hebrew $QIQAH, 'eagerness, desire', from the
biblical root $QQ, is an emotional build-up.

Isaac Fried, Boston University