[b-hebrew] Psalm 110:4 `al-divrati and revia mugrash

David Hamuel davidhamuel at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 26 17:46:27 EDT 2009

I have an interesting question on accents and a poetic reading.
`al divrati ??-????? in Psalm 110:4 has a long tradition of being read
as a poetic preposition with the yud being a poetic embellishment
and not the personal pronoun 'my'. The LXX does not have 'my'
here, and Rashi, Ibn-Ezra, and QimHi all point out that the phrase
`al divrati should be interpreted as if it read `al divrat.

My question concerns the MT accents. They have a revia` mugrash
on this phrase, which is a major disjunctive in the psalms (eme"t)
system of te`amim. I am thinking that this accent suggests that
the MT interpreted `al-divrati as "on my word, O Melchitsedek".
Does anyone have some nice counterexamples for revia` mugrash
that would support the traditional reading within the confines of the
MT?

--
Randall Buth, PhD

> They have a revia` mugrash on this phrase, which is a major disjunctive > in the psalms (eme"t)

First and foremost, revia mugrash is not a major disjunctive; this ta'am is similar to tippeha (21 books) which is very common!; btw, it's called tippeha by the Masorah.

Second, where and why Rashi/Ibn-Ezra/QimHi said that there is a problem with that verse since of the revia mugrash?

Best,

David Hamuel
Type Designer
Biblical Hebrew, Grammar & Cantillation Expert

Los Angeles, CA — USA