[b-hebrew] Robert Alter on Joseph

James Read J.Read-2 at sms.ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 24 17:17:21 EDT 2009

Jim,

by that reasoning the UK has several new years. It has one on January
1st from pagan origins. It has one in September when kids go back to
school. It has one in April when the financial year starts. And
others. Does that mean I should divide at least by three each time a
Brit tells me his age?

James Christian

Quoting JimStinehart at aol.com:

> Karl:
>
> Let me answer your three questions, but in reverse order.
>
> 1.  You wrote:  “And what about the ages listed in Genesis 11:10 ff? Three
> month “years”?”
>
> I see the Patriarchal narratives, beginning at Genesis 11: 26, as being
> older than the rest of the Bible.  My theory of the ages of the
> Patriarchs does
> not apply to any other part of the Bible (such as Genesis 11: 10).
>

> 2.  You wrote:  “You have yet to show one ancient source that your
> speculated bronze age fall and spring new years actually existed:
> all the sources
> you have pointed to
>  date from close to 2000 years later and later still.  Good scholarly
> practice demands that you be able to present primary sources, and so
>  far you have
> presented none.”
>
> Any Biblical source outside of the Patriarchal narratives is, by necessity,
> going to long post-date the Patriarchal Age.  So we need to look to secular
> history.  Just about the only place in Bronze Age greater Canaan having
> fairly extensive written records is Ugarit.  Here is what the standard source
> on ANE cultic calendars has to say about calendars and New Years in Late
> Bronze Age Ugarit.  The primary source material is “the Ugaritic
> Myth of Ba’lu”
> .  In order to keep this post fairly short, let me just quote the
> conclusions reached on the basis of that primary source from Late
> Bronze Age greater
> Canaan:
>
> “[T]he Ugarit cultic year appears to begin in autumn and the civil year in
> the spring….”  Mark E. Cohen, “The Cultic Calendars of the Ancient Near East
> ” (1993), CDL Press, Bethesda, Maryland, at p. 378, quoting J.C. de Morr, “
> The Seasonal Pattern in the Ugaritic Myth of Ba’lu”, AOAT 16, 61-62
>
> If you want the primary source names of the months in Ugaritic, here are
> some:  gn, hlt, hyr, ib’lt, itb, ittbnm, mgmr, nql, pgrm, ris yn, sm.
>
> Scholars well-versed in Ugaritic literature and culture believe that Ugarit
> had a New Year every 6 months:  a New Year in the fall, and a New Year in
> the spring.  Each calendar was a 12-month year calendar, but the combination
> of these two 12-month calendars led to there being a New Year every 6 months
> in Ugarit.
>
> There are virtually no written records from Bronze Age greater Canaan
> outside of Ugarit (and the Patriarchal narratives).  Using logic, we
>  know that
> the fall rains in Canaan revive plant life in Canaan, so the fall New Year
> must be the fundamental New Year in Canaan.  But Canaan has not only
>  an annual
> harvest in the fall, but also an annual harvest in the spring.  So having
> one calendar with a New Year in the fall, and another calendar with
> a New Year
> [...]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.