[b-hebrew] Joshua City Lists

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Fri Jan 30 17:00:00 EST 2009

Karl:

1.  You wrote:  “Within a few miles south there are Carmel, Ma'on, Karmil,
Pnei Heber, Samu'a, Yata is fairly good sized, Susya, Ruq'a, al Fawar, and
several other
 towns.”

Yata is the only real town of any size, but it is not located southeast of
the city of Hebron.  Yata is straight south of Hebron.  I am talking about the
desolate area southeast of Hebron (but not as far east as the Dead Sea, and not
as far south as Arad, which is east of Beersheba).  There have never been any
sizeable towns in that area.

2.  You wrote:  “You haven't read Joshua 15, have you? There are many cities,
and their towns, listed to the south of Hebron.”

Yes, there are many towns listed far south of Hebron, deep in the Negev
Desert, and also towns far southeast, by the Dead Sea, in chapter 15 of Joshua.
But the only candidates for towns located southeast of Hebron, but west of the
Dead Sea and north of Arad, are the 10 towns listed at Joshua 15: 55-57.  I don’
t see any of those towns as being located southeast of Hebron.  There is no
secular historical support in the ancient world for the view that any of those
towns were located there.  Rather, the two best-known towns in that group,
Carmel and Ziph, are documented as being located northwest of Hebron, in or near
the foothills on the west edge of hill country, near the Sorek Valley, based
on Late Bronze Age historical documents that I have noted.  There’s nothing in
the secular history of the ancient world that places a Carmel or a Ziph
southeast of Hebron.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois