[b-hebrew] sheeth in Ps 73:6

Steve Miller smille10 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 10 23:06:41 EDT 2008


> -----Original Message-----
> From: K Randolph Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 7:19 PM
> To: b-hebrew
> Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] sheeth in Ps 73:6
> 
> Steve:
> Are you sure that's a noun? Does not the context indicate that it should
> be
> a verb?
[Steve Miller] That was my first thought, that this was the verb "sheeth",
meaning "set", "appoint" or as you say "put on". I noticed it because I had
just finished working on Psalm 21, which in a short Psalm, uses that verb 4
times. But I thought that the verb could not work here because Shin-Yod-Tav
is the imperative (2ms), which could not fit in here. 
> 
> The unpointed text can be read in more than one way and because it is
> poetry, it is hard to tell which is the right way. Especially when the
> context is not that clear.
> 
> For example, who is the "he" for (+P to droop, hence to enfeeble? Is that
> not God?
[Steve Miller] I thought that the subject of (+P was "hamas", "violence" or
as you translate, "unfairness".

> 
> "Therefore their ornamentation which is haughty he enfeebles, he puts
> forth
> unfairness for them."
> 
> Yes, $YT can mean weeds, such as thistles, but does it fit the context?
> $YT
> can also be a verb, third person, to put forth, put on. I do not know a
> single case where it can mean garment, clothing.
[Steve Miller] It doesn't make sense to me either that it means "clothing".
How would you translate Prov 7:10? That is the only other place where most
translations render it "clothing".

> 
> This is a difficult verse, I don't blame you for asking about it.
[Steve Miller] Thanks Karl. I am also struggling with a later verse in this
Psalm, which I think is even harder than this one. I'll be sending it out
shortly.
-Steve Miller
Detroit
> 
> Karl W. Randolph.
> 
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 10:10 PM, Steve Miller
> <smille10 at sbcglobal.net>wrote:
> 
> > Dear friends,
> >
> >
> >
> > Ps 73:6 is translated "Therefore pride encircles them. A garment of
> > violence
> > covers them." I question translating the Hebrew word "sheeth" as
> "garment"
> > because it is only translated so here and in Prov 7:10. The consonants
> >  Shin
> > Yod Tav are commonly translated "thorns" (i.e. Isa 5:6; 7:23-25, etc.),
> but
> > when translated as "thorns", the word is voweled differently, with a
> patah
> > under the shin, rather then a hireq.
> >
> >
> >
> > Could the meaning of the 2nd ½ of Ps 73:6 be, "Thorns of violence cover
> > them" or "a thorny covering of violence is to them"? As thorns are a
> fallen
> > self-defense, the meaning then would be – if anyone tries to reprove
> them,
> > they violently attack him.
> >
> >
> >
> > If so, then Prov 7:10 could be translated, "and behold a woman to meet
> him,
> > a thorny harlot and subtle of heart." "Thorny" means she speaks verbal
> > barbs.
> >
> >
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> >
> >
> > Another question: In Ps 73:6 there is a dash between the word "covers"
> and
> > "sheeth". Does the dash mean anything?
> >
> >
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> >
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > -Steve Miller
> > Detroit
> > www.voiceInWilderness.info
> >
> > My flesh and my heart fail me.
> > God is the Rock of my heart.
> > And my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
> >





More information about the b-hebrew mailing list