[b-hebrew] sheeth in Ps 73:6

Harold Holmyard hholmyard3 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 9 07:41:13 EDT 2008

Steve,

> Ps 73:6 is translated “Therefore pride encircles them. A garment of violence
> covers them.” I question translating the Hebrew word “sheeth” as “garment”
> because it is only translated so here and in Prov 7:10.

HH: That's not a sufficient basis to question the word, it seems to me.

>  The consonants  Shin
> Yod Tav are commonly translated “thorns” (i.e. Isa 5:6; 7:23-25, etc.), but
> when translated as “thorns”, the word is voweled differently, with a patah
> under the shin, rather then a hireq.

HH: Well, that is significant.

> Could the meaning of the 2nd ½ of Ps 73:6 be, “Thorns of violence cover
> them” or “a thorny covering of violence is to them”? As thorns are a fallen
> self-defense, the meaning then would be – if anyone tries to reprove them,
> they violently attack him.

HH: The fact is that metaphors like "garment of violence" are used
elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible:

Mal. 2:16 For I hate divorce, says the LORD, the God of Israel, and
covering one’s garment with violence, says the LORD of hosts. So take
heed to yourselves and do not be faithless.

> If so, then Prov 7:10 could be translated, “and behold a woman to meet him,
> a thorny harlot and subtle of heart.” “Thorny” means she speaks verbal
> barbs.
>

> Any comments?

HH: This seems unlikely.

> Another question: In Ps 73:6 there is a dash between the word “covers” and
> “sheeth”. Does the dash mean anything?
>

> Thanks.

HH: It means that the two words are pronounced as one.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard