[b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Nimrod?

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Tue Mar 25 03:56:19 EDT 2008

Dear Isaac,

Etymology is tricky business, and we cannot be certain about the
origin and meaning of old names. However, there is one way to connect
the name Nimrod with that of Marduk  (Merodak)- but again, this is
just one possibility.

The Akkadian cuneiform signs were adopted from the Sumerians, and
each sign could be used as a logogram (representing one word) or it
could be used as a syllable. The Akkadian name Marduk was written
with the Sumerian signs AMAR and UD. The Sumerian genitive marker
occurring at the end of a word is ak.  We may therefore get the word
AMAR.UD.ak, and if the last "a" was assimilated by the previous "u",
we would get AMAR.UD.uk, which could have been the basis for the name
Marduk (a middle vowel in Akkadian often is lost).

If we go back to logograms representing Marduk, namely, AMAR.UD we
have most of the name Nimrod, namely m-r-u-d. When foreign names are
written in the Tanakh, they are adopted to the Hebrew stock of
phonemes, and the writer of Gen 10:9-10 could have added an "n" to
the Sumerian/Akkadian word, thus depicting the first  ruler of Babel
as a rebel (the word can be viewed as a Niphal participle of MRD).
Interestingly, both Marduk and Nimrod are said to be the
founder/first ruler of Babel. But we should keep in mind that there
are several other possible explanations of the name Nimrod.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo