[b-hebrew] b-hebrew Digest, Nimrod?

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Mon Mar 24 13:35:25 EDT 2008

Eva,
after viewing the link you gave, I must humbly accept my ignorance on
history issues.
But as regards grammar and to give an answer to your question my
contribution will may be helpful.

"Adding "n" before the "m" it becomes an infinitive construct"
That is not exact.
Adding "n" as a prefix before "m" (first root consonant) and keeping the
pattern vowel of this name (i-o) gives two results.

1. Infinitive absolute
2. Qal Imperfect (or future), first person plural

Take a look at www.oham.net/out/PI-t2/PI-t2-066.html and, within this, click
at the link to P-t397.A

Then, I think that from a grammar viewpoint Nimrod does not mean "The rebel"
but

either
1. To rebel (in a general way)
or