[b-hebrew] Afula vs. Biblical Ephrathah

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Mar 13 06:21:49 EDT 2008

Dear Jim,

I'm glad to see that you accept my explanation about why Afula is not
Ophrah. The ancient site that is within the modern city of Afula is a cute
little tell, with rows of Roman-period sarcophagi (did I spell that right?)
re-used by the crusaders as building blocks surrounding its summit. For some
more information about the site look here:
http://www.hadashot-esi.org.il/report_detail_eng.asp?id=457&mag_id=111.

You are correct, Jim, that there are remains from most periods all the way
back to the Early Bronze Age represented at the site. However, as far as I
remember, the Late Bronze Age, which you insist is the time of the
Patriarchs, is NOT represented.

There are lots of reasons to identify Ephrath(a) in the area of
Bethlehem-Judah. Take a look at the genealogies in I Chr. 2 and 4, and
you'll see that the "clan" of Ephrath is connected to such places as Etam,
Tekoa, Zorah and Manahath, all in the Judean hills or Shephalah, certainly
NOT in the Jezreel Valley.

Yigal Levin