[b-hebrew] Interchange of L/lamed with R/resh in Biblical Hebrew

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Mon Jun 23 21:36:03 EDT 2008

David,

I a sorry but I am not sure what the value of this "established
scientific linguistic methodology of phonemics" is. It is also not
clear to me at all why I cannot relate (AQAD to (AGAD. If you say
that (AQAD is 'bind, tie together', than it is one and the same as )
AGAD.
I never said that Q=D nor that D=R. Never ever. I am afraid you are
not paying good attention to what I am saying. What I said is that if
you replace D by R you get the OPPOSITE root.
It is true that the Arabic dictionaries list (QD as 'tied', and so do
Hebrew dictionaries, the question is when did this meaning enter the
language. Unless we know this we should not use it.

Isaac Fried, Boston University