[b-hebrew] 'All I said was, "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah."'

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 12:09:00 EST 2008

  'All I said was, "That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah."'

   The question was how to translate this into biblical Hebrew:

   "kol asher amarti: hadag hazeh tov hayah b'eynei elohim"

   Not a literal translation, but gives the sense of the original.

   The best Hebrew translation of Hamlet , and there were a few

  at the time - was done by the poet A. Shlonsky who reputedly did

  not know a word of English.

  Now towards the end of second temple days the language was more

  Mishnaic, and the approximate translation:

  "Kol sheamarti: dag zeh day tov hayah  lamakom".

  See note above; also "hamakom" (ha-maqom)  is one of the divine

  names in late Hebrew; could have been Hakadosh Barukh Hu.

  Uri Hurwitz                                                        Great Neck, NY