[b-hebrew] The root SLH

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sat Jan 5 23:44:19 EST 2008

Pere,

I am really sorry to hear that you failed to understand what I am saying.
Don’t despair. Understanding may require time. Things silently simmer in the
mind and then suddenly everything falls into place and all becomes bright
and clear. It happens to me all the time.

You are saying: “I wonder if anyone on this list does understand it... since
nobody, nobody mails to the list anything on this issue...”. I think you
should not worry about others. I would not look for comfort in CAR-AT
HA-RABIM. The “others” are also greatly preoccupied now with other fun
things as evident by the profusion of recent interesting postings.

You are also saying: “I think you have a hard work to do if you want people
understand what you mean”. I think it is either easy or neigh impossible
depending on the audience. Hard set notions, ideology, pride and bad
thinking habits makes it difficult; an open mind and the WILL to understand
makes it very easy.

I suggest you keep thinking of what XALAH and GALAH “really” mean without
recourse to translation or negation. Does GALAH really means ‘to uncover’,
or is this but an implication for something more basic and concrete? Are we
really “uncovering” something? Is it possible that a Hebrew root could mean
‘uncover = un-cover’? See also my posting from September 6, 2007 on the
equivalence of GLL, HLL, XLL, KLL, QLL.

Looking from time to time at relevant entries in my etymological dictionary
at www.hebrewetymology.com could be highly beneficial.

Isaac Fried, Boston University