[b-hebrew] YHWH

John Wilking jcwilking at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 5 08:22:21 EST 2008

Shoshanna,

  Sorry, I was saying that in the post I was presenting a little different idea than I had previously posted, i.e., I was responding to my post with a different idea.

  John C. Wilking

Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk at concentric.net> wrote:
  It's not a different idea that different names of G-d are used
deliberately at different places in the Torah to denote which aspect
of G-d is operating.

Shoshanna

This is another/different idea.

It appears that sometimes the Lord lays emphasis on the meaning of
his name, like "then you will know that I am YHWH your God, who
brought you out...from Egypt" Ex 6:7.

There are two other passages in Isaiah that are similar to Isa,
47:8 and that emphasize the role of the speaker.

"I am YHWH, and there is no other...." Isa. 45:5
"I am God and there is no other...." Isa. 46:9
"I am, and there is none besides me." Isa.47:8,10

If the significance/meaning of his name is being pointed out in
45:5, it is parallel with "God" and "I am", both which lay emphasis
on his supremacy.

John C. Wilking

John Wilking wrote:
Sorry I didn't put the "Subject" in the last posting.

I found three times in which ANI occurs twice:
ANI ANI HU, Deut. 32:39
ANI ANI DVRTI, Isa. 48:15
ANI ANI ATROF, Hos. 5:14

once with ANOKI:
ANOKI ANOKI HU, Isa. 43:25

These seem to be simple intensifiers. Would it be strange to think
of AHYH...AHYH as intensive in nature?

John C. Wilking

John Wilking wrote:
Is it possible to see more semantic similarities between AHYH in
Exodus 3:14 and ANI in Isaiah 47:8,10 other than that both are
translated as EGW EIMI and "I am?" Does ANI ever occur twice like
ANOKI(Sp?)...ANI?

John C. Wilking

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.
Try it now.