[b-hebrew] YHWH

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Thu Jan 3 21:58:28 EST 2008

It's not a different idea that different names of G-d are used
deliberately at different places in the Torah to denote which aspect
of G-d is operating.

Shoshanna

This is another/different idea.

   It appears that sometimes the Lord lays emphasis on the meaning of
his name, like "then you will know that I am YHWH your God, who
brought you out...from Egypt" Ex 6:7.

   There are two other passages in Isaiah that are similar to Isa,
47:8 and that emphasize the role of the speaker.

   "I am YHWH, and there is no other...." Isa. 45:5
   "I am God and there is no other...." Isa. 46:9
   "I am, and there is none besides me." Isa.47:8,10

   If the significance/meaning of his name is being pointed out in
45:5, it is parallel with "God" and "I am", both which lay emphasis
on his supremacy.

   John C. Wilking

John Wilking <jcwilking at yahoo.com> wrote:
     Sorry I didn't put the "Subject" in the last posting.

   I found three times in which  ANI occurs twice:
   ANI ANI HU, Deut. 32:39
   ANI ANI DVRTI, Isa. 48:15
   ANI ANI ATROF, Hos. 5:14

   once with ANOKI:
   ANOKI ANOKI HU, Isa. 43:25

   These seem to be simple intensifiers.  Would it be strange to think
of  AHYH...AHYH as intensive in nature?

   John C. Wilking

John Wilking <jcwilking at yahoo.com> wrote:
   Is it possible to see more semantic similarities between AHYH in
Exodus 3:14 and ANI in Isaiah 47:8,10 other than that both are
translated as EGW EIMI and "I am?" Does ANI ever occur twice like
ANOKI(Sp?)...ANI?

John C. Wilking

   Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.
Try it now.