[b-hebrew] Need Help With Trope Identification

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Thu Dec 11 22:55:10 EST 2008

Dear John,

Is this from a Hebrew translation of Matthew. Because if it is, than these
are not properly "trope marks" at all. Remember, the Masoretes never
cantilized the New Testament, which is not part of the Hebrew Bible. The
writer/copiest/printer/whoever used Etnah marks to show the main stop in
each verse, and the marks that you are circled seem to simply have been
inserted in order to show where the accent is, to insure proper reading.

Yigal Levin