[b-hebrew] 9. MICAH ,eeting - final call

R. Lehmann lehmann at uni-mainz.de
Sat Aug 30 08:54:44 EDT 2008

9. Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew (MICAH)
Reminder and 3rd (final) call.

The 9th Mainz International Colloquium on Ancient Hebrew and Related
Languages (9. MICAH) will take place at Johannes Gutenberg University
of Mainz (Germany), from Friday, 14 to Sunday 16 November, 2008.

You are invited to give a lecture, either a short paper (20 min plus
5 discussion) or a full lecture (45 min plus 10 discussion), as you
please.

Topics cover the grammar and linguistics of Ancient and Classical
Hebrew (Epigraphic and Biblical Hebrew, Qumran and related Hebrew,
and Ben Sira), as well as studies of adjacent languages and
epigraphy, for instance Ugaritic, Phoenician-Punic, Old and Imperial
Aramaic, Moabite and Edomite. Also welcome are topics on general
epigraphy, paleography, and general linguistics in close connection
with these languages.

Submitted paper topics will be arranged into special sessions, within
the following areas:

Biblical Hebrew
Postbiblical Hebrew
Ugaritic
Canaanite
Phoenician-Punic
Aramaic
Transjordan
Lexicography & Semantics
Epigraphy & Palaeography
General topics of Northwest Semitic paleography.

Conference languages are German, English, and French.
As we wish to avoid parallel sessions, sessions will be deemed closed
when the optimal number of proposed papers for each are accepted.

Actually, due to few cancellations the schedule is not yet fixed, but
will be until Friday, September 12th at the latest.

Postgraduates, or PhD. doctorate students are explicitly invited to
present their projects where they might benefit from collegial
discussions. Any one applying in this category, please indicate
clearly your institution and supervisor. Please send paper proposals
to the undersigned (lehmann at uni-mainz.de) and indicate the topic
(preliminary or working title) and the preferred length of presentation.

For participation, we request a fee of 35 Euro, which is due on site.
For those who present a paper, participation is free. While no formal
pre-registration form is needed, for planning purposes, it is
nevertheless important that we receive soon an email declaration of
intent even if you do not present a paper, at the given address. We
are not organizing travel or housing arrangements, but will gladly
inform you on available lodging near the University.

The actual list of speakers will shortly be presented on
www.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de/MICAH.html
www.micah.hebraistik.uni-mainz.de

For all questions and concern please contact:

Dr. Reinhard G. Lehmann
Academic Director / Ancient Hebrew and NWS Languages
Research Unit on Ancient Hebrew & Epigraphy
Faculty of Protestant Theology
Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz
Tel. +49-6131-39-23284 (office)
Phone and fax +49-6132-799873
email: MICAH[&]uni-mainz.de

In co-operation with:
Anna E. Zernecke (University of Mainz)
Dr. Johannes F. Diehl (University of Frankfurt)