[b-hebrew] Hebrew vs Yiddish

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Tue Oct 30 23:26:55 EDT 2007

Thank you for that information.  I really never knew.  That is very
interesting - especially that it is a means "by which the movements
of the Jews through Europe may be traced."

Shoshanna Walker

>From Doris Gahler - _dgahler782 at aol.com_ (mailto:dgahler782 at aol.com)

Shoshannah - Yiddish is not a "Germanized" Hebrew but is a mixture by which
the movements of the Jews through Europe may be traced. It is primarily based
on  German with some corrupted admixtures of Romance languages - since, after
all, they came from the defunct Roman Empire. (I.e. cholent is a  corruption
of the French chaud et lent, carried eastward by  Alsatian/Rhineland Jews
migrating through Germany into Poland. Once in Eastern  Europe,
Slavic terms were
adopted which did not appear in the  Juden-Teitsch spoken by  Jews residing in
Germany. And, of course,  some Hebrew terms were retained, albeit in
corrupted, "Yiddishized"  form.

Doris Gahler