[b-hebrew] Gen 2.18

Edward Andrews edandrews at roadrunner.com
Sat Oct 27 06:55:27 EDT 2007

To all:

Gen 2:18: Rmxyv hvhy myhlx xl bvF Mdxh vdbl

Lit., and he is saying Jehovah God not good to be of the human to alone of him

ASV: And Jehovah God said, It is not good that the man should be alone;

ESV: Then the LORD God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone;

NASB: Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone;

HCSB: Then the LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone.

And Jehovah God went on to say: "It is not good for the man to continue by himself.

Which is more reflective of the original Hebrew and why? I know the ASV, ESV, NASB and the HCSB Bibles are literal, thus they reflect the interlinear level. However, is the unnamed translation within or outside of being acceptable and why?

My reason for asking is this: does this verse and its context allow for the idea that God is saying that Adam is lonely, thus this is what moved Him to step in, maybe even before he finished the task of naming the animals, and create Adam's complement?

Second question, it appears that Adam named the animals based on the character and makeup up of the animals (the horse sus, the bull shohr, the sheep seh, the goat ?ez, a bird ?ohph, the dove yoh·nah´, the peacock tuk·ki´, the lion 'ar·yeh´ or 'ari´, the bear dov, the ape qohph, the dog ke´lev, the serpent na·chash´, and so on), which implies that Adam took his time to study each different animal. In other words, God simply did not gather all of the animals in a big line to rush them past Adam, to accomplish the naming all in one day.

Am I off base in considering that Adam had grown lonely, which could hardly be the case in 24 hours?

Edward Andrews