[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Thu Oct 18 20:43:05 EDT 2007

"Note Abimelech's self-serving assertion that Abimelech is  "a righteous
nation"."

The Torah teaches us that Avimelech WAS righteous (for his time) - by
the fact that G-d admitted that his intentions were good, by the fact
that Avimelech merited to have a moment of Prophecy

"Whether Abimelech is being truthful or not in claiming to  his servants that
Abimelech had not come near Sarah we will never know.  In my view, the author
of the  Patriarchal narratives wants us to understand these verses as being
what  Abimelech said to his servants, not as necessarily being what actually
happened."

There is nothing in Torah to support your view, not in the text, not
even by implication, your view is entirely arbitrary, and proves my
point - that if you don't believe that G-d wrote the Torah, then - in
your mind - you can construe it to mean anything you want it to mean.