[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

JimStinehart at aol.com JimStinehart at aol.com
Thu Oct 18 16:38:42 EDT 2007

James:
I should have also cited Genesis 20: 4:  "Now Abimelech had not come near
her;  and he said: 'Lord [Adonai], wilt  Thou slay even a righteous nation?'"
In my view, the author of the Patriarchal narratives  wants us to understand
that verse as  follows:
The next morning, when Abimelech told his servants all  that happened,
Abimelech said to the assembled multitude that Abimelech had not  come near Sarah,
and that he had said to God:  'Lord [Adonai], wilt Thou  slay even a righteous
nation?'"
Note Abimelech's self-serving assertion that Abimelech is  "a righteous
nation".
Whether Abimelech is being truthful or not in claiming to  his servants that
Abimelech had not come near Sarah we will never know.  In my view, the author
of the  Patriarchal narratives wants us to understand these verses as being
what  Abimelech said to his servants, not as necessarily being what actually
happened.  In particular, at the  point that Abraham utters that profound
fertility prayer for Abimelech, how  could Abraham have known what had actually gone
on the previous  night?
Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois