[b-hebrew] tetragrammaton - YHWH and the PN Yitshaq

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 16 17:24:10 EDT 2007

  You may wish to look up the so called "Amorite" PNs from Mari, and
   discover their meanings and functions, some biblical names just follow
   the pattern. Such personal names  usually  call for a  benefit from a deity,
   such as protection,  help, blessing etc.

    Now sometimes such names  appear in abbreviated form, note for
   exaple Barukh or (Ezra, where the name of the deity was dropped.
   Such a 'nickname'  ,or hypocorosticon, is exactly Yitshaq , derived from
   a longer * Yitshaq-el or * Yitshaq- hadad  =   may the deity smile
   [on the person named].

   You mentioned Ya)aqob again;  this is another abbreviation from a longer
  "may the deity protect'. The name appears in Mari over a dozen times,
  in Egypt, as one of Hyksos kings, and elsewhere as I mentioned before.

  As for the meaning of the Tetragammaton, the possibility that this divine
    name too is  an abbreviation is held seriously by some. It falls
   in the catogery of the "deity is established" or  the"deity exists"
   names such as the biblical Yehoyakhin.
     Thus the original form of this name long before the Hebrews shortened
  and adopted it was * "Yahweh-El" or *"Yahweh-Haddad"

    Uri Hurwitz

  ----- Original Message -----From: "Isaac Fried" <if at math.bu.edu>