[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

biblical hebrew jcr.bhebrew at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 05:06:28 EDT 2007

Hi Jim,

on reflection, I think I now understand what you are suggesting. You are
suggesting a translation of the following kind:

And Abraham went out from there towards the south of the land.
And he set up camp between Kadesh and Sur.
And he stayed in Gerar.

The final two setences are to be understood as elucidative parallels of one
another and as such would make no betrayals of Hebrew grammar as such play
with verbs of similar meaning in parallel phrases is well attested usage. In
English we can do something similar. We can say something like

And Colin left [Scotland] and went down south.
He bought a house between Liverpool and Leeds.
And he lived in Manchester.

To a person from Nottingham referring to Manchester as 'down south' would be
quite strange but when the context clearly indicates Scotland as the
starting place it could be seen how this would make sense.

Is this the kind of point you are trying to make?

http://www.lamie.org/hebrew       Thesis 1 - Aleppo codex machine translation
http://www.lamie.org/lad-sim.doc  Thesis 2 - language acquisition simulation