[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Oct 14 01:16:45 EDT 2007

Yigal,

You can bet your hat that biblical NGB has nothing to do with 'dry'
or 'wipe'. It's folk etymology at its best. Do you believe that the
ancient Hebrews would call some area to the south "the wiped one"?
Wiped from what? And what is the land to the north, "the wet one"?
The root NGB is rather a variant of NQB, NGP and NQP and refers to an
elevation or a depression.
There is some interest in recalling that in Arabic NAJPAH is a mound,
or sand-hill, and that NAJIB is a nobleman, a man of elevated status.

Isaac Fried, Boston University