[b-hebrew] Genesis 20: 1

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Fri Oct 12 12:14:49 EDT 2007

> If YOKEBED is YHO-KEBED, as correctly pointed out to us by Yigal [YI-
> G)AL] and Uri, then why not YOSEP = YHO-SEP?

_____________

If in some cases -Yokedeb, Yoel, Yonathan-  the YO refers to the name of
Israel's God, this does not allow us to state that the initial YO  -or
better YWO-  of every word whose head is YO (YWO) refers to it.

And so,

1. YWOS"P (Gen 30:24) marks the Hiph'il imperfect, 3rd person singular
masculine = he will cause to increase.
2. YWOL"K (Dt 28:36) marks the Hiph'il imperfect, 3rd person singular
masculine = he will cause to go, to walk.
3. YWONEH (Eze 18:7) marks the Hiph'il imperfect, 3rd person singular
masculine = he will cause to oppres, he will oppress.

This YWO is the typical prefix for the Hiph'il imperfect, 3rd person sing,
masc. of verbs Peh"Yod and of a few other that follow their path.

Pere Porta