[b-hebrew] Stress

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Tue Oct 9 06:36:01 EDT 2007

Pere,

The ending -UN = -HUN in YAD(-UN is a variant of the independent
personal pronoun HEN otherwise used as a stand alone to designate a
group of females. In contrast, in $MAR-U-M, and $MAR-U-N, the -U =
HU) is for the plurality of the guardians, and -M = HEM and -N=HEN
are for the plurality of the guarded. Notice also the difference
between $AMAR-NU, 'we guarded' and $MAR-A-NU, 'he guarded us'.
The form -ON for an individual is found in XAR-ON, '[it is] anger',
XESR-ON, '[it is] lack', XIPAZ-ON, '[it is] haste', and more.
Possibly also in )AS-ON, 'calamity', )AT-ON, 'she-ass', and more. The
radical/pronoun nature of the H,A,M,N,T,Y consonants of the detached
personal pronouns )ANIY, )ATAH, )AT, HU), HIY), )ATEM, )ATEN, HEM,
HEN is sometimes ambiguous.
The ending -AN [the essential part of ANI, 'I'] is common in spoken
Hebrew for a person doing something habitually or a thing having some
inherent property: GAZL-AN, '[he is a] robber', XALB-AN, '[he is a]
milkman', $AKR-AN, '[he is a] lier', SART-AN, 'crab', POTX-AN, '[it
is a can] opener', all in accordance with RAXAM-AN-I-O-T = RAXAM-AN-
HI)-HU)-AT, 'compassionate', of Lamentations 4:10 and XARC-AN,
'seeds?, kernels?, unripe grapes?' of Numbers 6:4.

Isaac Fried, Boston University