[b-hebrew] Proverbs 16:27

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 05:18:21 EST 2007

Kenneth:

On Nov 26, 2007 12:07 PM, kenneth greifer <greifer at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Proverbs 16:27 says something like "an evil man digs up (plots?) evil, and it burns like a fire on his lips." (I am not sure about that translation.)
>
> If you divide the letters differently it could say "a man of evil is the furnace (kaf vav resh spelled kaf resh) of evil (hay resh ayin hay), and upon his lips it (evil?) burns like a fire." It is a wild guess, but as a coincidence, I think it is interesting.
>
> Kenneth Greifer

Looking at the context, we are dealing with a section of Proverbs
which often do not have clear parallelisms, or at least those where
the second part is a rewording of the first:

לב חכם ישׂכיל פיהו ועל־שׂפתיו יסיף לקח׃
LB XKM Y&KYL PYHW W(L &PTYW YSYP LQX
A wise heart causes his lips to act with discernment and causes
increase upon his lips.

צוף־דבשׁ אמרי־נעם מתוק לנפשׁ ומרפא לעצם׃
CWP DB$ )MRY N(M MTWQ LNP$ WMRP) L(CM
Pleasant sayings are a honey comb, sweet to life and healing to bones.

ישׁ דרך ישׁר לפני־אישׁ ואחריתה דרכי־מות׃
Y$ DRK Y$R LPNY )Y$ W)XRYTH DRKY MWT
There is a path straight before a man's face and its ends [are] paths of death.

נפשׁ עמל עמלה לו כי־אכף עליו פיהו׃
MP$ (ML (MLH LW KY )KP (LYW PYHW
A troublesome life [is] troublesome to himself for his mouth puts
pressure upon himself.

אישׁ בליעל כרה רעה ועל־שׂפתיו כאשׁ צרבת׃
)Y$ BLY(L KRH R(H W(L &PTYW K)$ CRBT
A useless man provides unpleasantness and upon his lips [is] like a
scorching fire.

אישׁ תהפכות ישׁלח מדון ונרגן מפריד אלוף׃
)Y$ THPKWT Y$LX MDWN WNRGN MPRYD )LWP
An overturning (perverse) man sends accusation and a murmurer
separates familiar [friends].

אישׁ חמס יפתה רעהו והוליכו בדרך לא־טוב׃
)Y$ XMS YPTH R(HW WHWLYKW BDRK L) +WB
A man who acts unfairly entices his neighbor and causes him to go in a
path that is not pleasing.

I started with verse 23 and ended with verse 29 to show that some of
these proverbs do not have parallelism where the second part is a
rewording of the first, so we should not assume that verse 27 is.
Indeed as I understand the verse, it is not.

You have been rather creative, but I don't think that either word
meanings or context supports your efforts.

Karl W. Randolph.