[b-hebrew] Genesis 12: 5: Are "Souls" Slaves?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Nov 17 14:14:00 EST 2007

Dear Jim,

What's your point. Only a few of the commentaries and translations that you
quoted actually called the people "slaves" or "servants". I agree that this
interpretation is unsupported by the text. These people were obviously
people who had attached themselves to Abraham and Sarah - sort of "fellow
travelers". Whether they were relatives or not, and whether they served as
guards or not is simply conjecture - the text does not say. The Hebrew says
"hannephesh asher 'asu" - literally "the souls that they had made". The
question is, why call them "souls" and not just "people" (anashim), and what
does "made" mean. Assuming that Abraham and Sarah wer not
proto-Frankensteins who "made souls", it seems to imply that these people
had some sort of deeper connection to Abraham and Sarah. Traditional Jewish
commentaries see them as people who Abraham and Sarah had "converted" to
their belief in the One God. Perhaps, but that's also not what the text
says.

Yigal Levin