[b-hebrew] The root XRS-XR$

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Sun Nov 4 17:44:51 EST 2007

Karl,

I did exactly what I said I will do, I looked al all Hebrew roots
extant with a medial R, an initial G, H, X, K or Q, and a final D, Z,
Tet, S, C, $ or Tav. To limit the discussion to roots of the form XRS-
XR$ I knowingly excluded all other permutations thereof such as GZR,
RGZ, ZRQ, nor did I mention any other root not of this form.
Dispersion or aggregation means that the root refers to a material
state of several free or loosely connected bodies.
You statement: "words that have no example as a root" is not clear to
me. An example accompanied by some explanation would be greatly
appreciated.
Likewise, "could have been borrowed from other languages" is vague
and tentative. An example would be be greatly acknowledged.
XRD may indeed be also 'tremble, startle, disperse in fear or haste'.
See 1 Samuel 13:7, Judges 8:12 and Hosea 11:11. The NAB sensibly
renders Judges 8:12
וְכָל-הַמַּחֲנֶה הֶחֱרִיד
as "throwing the entire army into panic".
As to: "XR$, to work on or over (hence) to keep silent (can't talk
while working), to be deaf", it is one of the most inventive
etymologies I have ever encountered. Is this remarkable etymology
actually being proposed in some dictionaries?
You are saying: "XRZ, (not a root found in Tanakh)". What about XARUZ
of Song of songs 1:10?

Isaac Fried, Boston University