[b-hebrew] Mowledeth

pporta at oham.net pporta at oham.net
Sat Nov 3 04:33:25 EDT 2007

> Pere  Porta:
> You wrote:  "MWLDT is the Hiph'il Participle,  singular feminine of verb
> YLD,
> to bring forth.  Thus its literal meaning is "(female)  who causes to
> bring
> forth", the same
> as "MWRDT" means "(female) who causes  to go down" (of YRD).  …
> From my  answer above it is clear that MWLDT must rather point out to
> ancestors than  to descendants."
> The three answers I have gotten as to what  the meaning of MWLDT is are
> confusing.

___________

Dear Jim,

I'm not able to make a good answer to your reasoning below. By saying that
from a gramatical point of view MWOLEDET (*)  means "female who causes to
bring forth" I wanted only to help, to cast some light hereon.

In a neutral viewing, "MWOLEDET = female who causes to bring forth" can
refer either to past times (ancestors) or to future times (descendants). But
my feeling is that in biblical writings which you are telling on (Joseph and
his brothers, etc.) it clearly points out to the past. "Relatives, kindred,
(family?), offspring" are, in my opinion, good words for MWOLEDET.

Sorry for not being able to do more for you.

(*) remark: MWO, not MOW

Pere Porta
Barcelona (Spain)

 Let's look at a specific verse of text, which may shed light on this