[b-hebrew] Joshua 2:1 and 17, Questions

Jason Hare jaihare at gmail.com
Wed May 30 13:04:36 EDT 2007

Dear B-Hebrew,

Last night I read a couple of chapters of Joshua for leisure, and
there are a couple of things that I noticed that I wanted to ask
about:

(1) Although $BW(H /shevu'ah/ [שבועה] is feminine, it is modified with
the masculine ZH /zeh/ [זה] in 2:17:

נְקִיִּם אֲנַחְנוּ מִשְּׁבֻעָתֵךְ הַזֶּה אֲשֶׁר הִשְׁבַּעְתָּנוּ
NQYM )NXNW M$B(TK HZH )$R H$B(TNW

Come to think of it, why is H$B(TNW masculine, when it is talking about Rahab?

(2) Is there any reason why the NIV footnote says that the word ZWNH
/zonah/ [זונה] can be translated as "innkeeper"?

Thanks,
Jason
Joplin, MO > Ra'anana (Israel)