[b-hebrew] prophecy only when the majority of jews are in israel

Shoshanna Walker rosewalk at concentric.net
Tue May 29 19:53:55 EDT 2007

The Rambam write in his Igeres Teiman writing (based on a prophecy of
Bilam) that prophecy will return to Israel in the year 4976 (=1216).
And also that nevuah will return, and he said that without a doubt
this will be the preface to coming of Mashiach, I don't think he
conditioned it on who will be in Israel at the time

He also describes 11 degrees of prophecy, so it's not so simple -
Nevuah is different than Ruach HaKodes, for instance.

But the Rambam was not a navi, this was only his opinion, not a prophecy.

Also if things are going to be the way they were, we can't have
nevuah without a Sanhedrin, which was the body which certified
someone claiming to be a navi, after testing him.

Shoshanna

Probably Rambam (Maimonides), although I'd have to look it up. If anyone has
any references, go ahead and answer, but please let's NOT let this turn into
a theological debate.

Yigal Levin
co-modirator