[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 vs.16:11

JoeWallack at aol.com JoeWallack at aol.com
Tue Jul 31 11:15:52 EDT 2007

JW:
Following is a comparison of the wording of Isaiah 7:14 with Genesis 16:11.
Much wording is similar and both are part of a prophecy. The main difference
is  16:11 is to a 2nd party.

_http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/isa7.pdf_
(http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/isa7.pdf)

_http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/gen16.pdf_
(http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/gen16.pdf)
(http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/OTpdf/gen38.pdf)

7:14---------------------------------------16:11
הִנָּךְ----------------------------------------הִנֵּה
ene----------------------------------------en·k
behold  ! ---------------------------------behold·you !

הָעַלְמָה
e·olme
the·damsel

הָרָה--------------------------------------הָרָה
ere---------------------------------------ere
pregnant-one------------------------pregnant

וְיֹלַדְתְּ-----------------------------------וְיֹלֶדֶת
u·ildth----------------------------------u·ildth
and·one-giving-birth--------------and·you-give-birth

בֵּן----------------------------------------בֵּן
bn---------------------------------------bn
son-------------------------------------son

וְקָרָאת---------------------------------וְקָרָאת
u·qrath-------------------------------u·qrath
and·she-calls---------------------and·you-call

שְׁמֹו-----------------------------------שְׁמֹו
shm·u--------------------------------shm·u
name-of·him-----------------------name-of·him

Comparison of 16:11:

HNH/HNK - Imperative to observe an existing physical condition. I think the
context is clear that Hagar was already pregnant and HNK here has a meaning of
 "observe". Supports HNH of 7:14 having a similar meaning.

H(LMH  - No such identification required with direct communication. Supports
an  understanding that H(LMH of 7:14 is only needed to help identify to a 3rd
person.

HRH - Let's get basic here. HRH can either be the English "conceive", which
is a Verb or the English "pregnant", which is an Adjective. BDB confirms this.
 Not that I need BDB to tell me this but I have Faith that BDB is still used
in  the Seminary which may carry some weight with some here (pregnant pause).

In polemics I sometimes see someone make a General statement that HRH is an
Adjective. They don't realize that their source was an opinion on 7:14. Of
course no one here would do that. BDB places 7:14 as an Adjective which is
understandable since there is a Noun next to it. Interestingly, Theology prefers
the Imperfect Verb here and by an Act of Providence there is no shortage of
Christian Translations here with the Imperfect Verb including Professor
Holmyard's Holman. BDB does categorize 38:24 and 16:11 as Adjectives but without  a
connecting Noun they look like Verbs to me.

7:14 may be an Adjective but I think it beneficial to compare to other uses
of the Form. Another interesting factor here is that Translation of HRH should
 be affected by the related Contextual understanding. What is the emphasis of
the  Prophecy? For someone like me who sees HRH as a necessary but relatively
 unimportant part of the prophecy, the act of conception is relatively less
important. But for someone who is using "Virgin" and sees this as the Key part
 of the Prophecy, than the Act or Conception is the emphasis.

WQR)T - Same construction. "You will call". 2nd person feminine. Supports
physical presence of 7:14.

Joseph Wallack