[b-hebrew] etymological fallacy and the meaning of almah

kenneth greifer greifer at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 21:48:38 EDT 2007

Recently, someone on b-hebrew said that almah meant virgin because its root
comes from a verb that means to be hidden , and virgins were hidden. What
about the word olam ? Does it also come from "hidden"?

Also, I read on an internet site that there is something called an
etymological fallacy  http://www.fallacyfiles.org/etymolog.html

How do you know if the idea that almah means virgin because its root means
"hidden" is an etymological fallacy? I never even heard of etymological
fallacy until a few hours ago, so I really don't know much about it.

Kenneth Greifer