[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 vs.13:5

JAMES CHRISTIAN READ JCR128 at student.anglia.ac.uk
Sun Jul 29 06:39:44 EDT 2007

Dear Joe,

There really is no comparison worth considering for your
argument. The style in Judges 13:5 gives clear introduction
to who is being addressed:

NWT Judges 13:3
In time Jehovah’s angel appeared to the woman and said to her:

Secondly, the context of Judges 13:5 clearly indicates
a prediction of the future (the exact opposite of what
you were arguing)

Finally, your argument of a 2fs form in Isaiah 7:14 is
extremely shallow because as already already noted the
same form can equally be a 3fs and, in fact, this is
exactly what the context indicates.

Your argument based on HNH is also baseless. Prophectic
language regularly uses such a construct when there is
no clear immediate physically present point of reference.
Translation such as 'Behold' can be considered, at best,
throwbacks from old english traditions of translation
but make little sense in the language I was brought up
to communicate in. The more modern 'Look!' can equally
be used with such fragile connotations e.g.:

Look! I'll do it tomorrow it alright!(future reference)
Look! I've already told you a thousand times (past
reference)
Look! I've had enough of this (present consequence with
no physical manifestation to actually look at)

The same can be said of equivalent expressions in a
variety of modern languages.

CONCLUSION!

Maybe the girl was present, maybe she wasn't! It really
doesn't make a difference to most people's faith either
way because they see the greater context of Isaiah's
prophecies which clearly extend beyond his own lifetime.
But the bottom line is that your arguments are far from
conclusive and all of your 'proofs' have solid counter
examples.
It seems that up till now the discussion has only
considered two possibilities:

1: The language used clearly indicates the girl was present
2: The language used clearly indicates the girl was not
present and was unknown to Ahaz

But please allow me to introduce a third possibility:

3: The language used is clearly ambiguous as with many
prophecies to allow for multiple fulfillments of
greater and lesser significance.

Any thoughts?aid of equivalent expressions in a