[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - HNH H()LMY

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Jul 27 14:21:04 EDT 2007

On 27/07/2007 17:47, JoeWallack at aol.com wrote:
> JW:
> " הָעַלְמָה, הָרָה "
>
> You agree that " הָרָה " can be either a noun/adjective or verb in  BH?

It can only be a verb is something masculine can be pregnant. But this
can happen in figurative language, as apparently in Psalm 7:14 (7:15 in
Hebrew) which is interesting to compare with Isaiah 7:14. (By the way,
the subject line here is about Isaiah, not the Psalm.)

> JW:
> What would BH require for "Here is the young woman who is/that is  pregnant"?

You would need an extra he, hinne(h) ha`alma(h) hahara(h).

By the way, I agree with your conclusion that the young woman was known
to Ahaz, and the general thrust (not every detail) of your argument
showing this.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Blog:    http://www.qaya.org/blog/
Website: http://www.qaya.org/