[b-hebrew] Dinah raped?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Jul 23 15:03:25 EDT 2007

Dear Bryant,

That's a perfect illustration of my point. In our culture, saying that "all
men are created equal" menas that all men have the same basic civil rights,
and that one man should not own another. We also real "men" as including
women. But that's not how it was understood in the 18th century. In most of
the world incluing the US women had very few rights, and neither did blacks.
In many places, even white males had to own property in order to vote. If
you would ask them what "all men are created equal" meant, the answer would
be something like "all have the same chance at salvation". In the two
centuries that have passed, we have re-interpreted that dictum to refer to
civil rights, political rights, the right to an education and so on. Would
Jefferson agree with out interpretation - that's anybody's guess.

Yigal Levin