[b-hebrew] virginity

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Jul 18 23:34:50 EDT 2007

Tory,

It appears to me that the "Ugaritic" word glmt = galmat? you are
quoting below is from the root GLM, 'to have shape, to have body, to
be compact'. The word ends in the personal pronoun AT for the woman
itself. The word GOLEM, 'fetus', of Psalms 139:16 is one of the words
derived from this root. The root GLM is of the root family BLM, KLM,
CLM, SLM, $LM [hence the name $ULAMIT of Songs 7:1, in which both the
U and the IT are personal pronouns] and TLM.

Isaac Fried, Boston University