[b-hebrew] virginity

Tory Thorpe torythrp at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 23:35:55 EDT 2007

On Jul 18, 2007, at 8:49 PM, dwashbur at nyx.net wrote:

> In addition, Judges 21:12 piles up 3 terms, NA(AR, B:TUWLFH, and
> "who did not  know to
> lie with a man," a rather unusual expression, methinks.  The
> previous verse says to kill ever
> woman "who knows lying-down with a male" (my own literal
> rendering).  All this suggests
> that the language being used here is very intensive and hardly
> normative for regular
> narrative, much less poetry.  I doubt we can infer anything at all
> about Isaiah from this
> verse.

This feature also appears in Genesis and has already been discussed
by Gordon: "In Ugarit, the Betulah Anath is not a virgin... In an
Aramaic incantation a woman having difficulty in bearing her
(presumably first) child is nonetheless called betulta ( = Heb.
betulah). Dr. E. J. Young calls my attention to the fact that the
betulah of Joel 1:8 must have been married for she mourns 'the
husband of her youth.' Dr. H. S. Gehman informs me that parthenos as
early as Homer (e.g., Iliad 2:514) may refer to a woman who is no
longer a virgin. All this may explain why Rebecca, who is called an
'almah in Gen. 24:43, and a betulah in 24:16, is (to make matters
unequivocally clear) additionally described as a girl that 'no man
had known' (24:16). Neither 'almah nor betulah nor parthenos means
necessarily what 'virgin' means in English" ("The Patriarchal Age,"
JBR 21 [1953], pp. 240-1).

Tory Thorpe