[b-hebrew] virginity

dwashbur at nyx.net dwashbur at nyx.net
Wed Jul 18 20:49:57 EDT 2007

In addition, Judges 21:12 piles up 3 terms, NA(AR, B:TUWLFH, and "who did not  know to
lie with a man," a rather unusual expression, methinks.  The previous verse says to kill ever
woman "who knows lying-down with a male" (my own literal rendering).  All this suggests
that the language being used here is very intensive and hardly normative for regular
narrative, much less poetry.  I doubt we can infer anything at all about Isaiah from this
verse.