[b-hebrew] Definite Article 7:14 - HNH

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Jul 18 18:45:31 EDT 2007

Joseph,

1. I agree with Harold that HINEH does not require physical presence.
2. The Hebrew "definite article" does not require the defined to be
mentioned earlier in the discourse if he is known otherwise.
3. Virgin is a theological code word that has no correspondence in
the Hebrew bible, and hence the discussion (ALMAH/virgin is vain.
4. Things would look and sound much better if you replace "definite
article" by "non-arbitrary article".
5. The fact that the prophet said HA-(ALMAH [like saying HA-MALKAH]
implies that he was referring to a known person. The rest is theology.

Isaac Fried, Boston University